Knoppix is very portable and easy to use. Being a developer, I know that it is important to keep your tools handy. This post is about installing Xampp in Knoppix. The following steps can get it running in no time ;D
- Get the latest .tar.gz of Xampp and download it in a folder.
- Go to the downloaded file’s folder using File Manager.
- Open Terminal in the .tar.gz file’s folder by pressing
Tools>Open Current Folder in Terminal
The next step will Install Xampp in /opt folder.
- Type the following command in the terminal (make sure the name of the .tar.gz file is correct)
…:~$ sudo tar xvfs NAME OF FILE.tar.gz -C/opt
Afterwards, you will see a lot of installation activity in the terminal window. When it finishes, it is necessary to change permissions to the htdocs folder in xampp in order to make development easy and possible.
- Type the following in Terminal to allow file permissions in htdocs
…:~$ chmod 777 /opt/lampp/htdocs
- Now we can start Xampp
…:~$ /opt/lampp/lampp start
- Now go to browser and type localhost and it will be working fine. Also check if phpmyadmin is working.
- To stop Xampp services, go to terminal and type this
…:~$ /opt/lampp/lampp stop
- Enjoy! 🙂